.

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Active Listening Essay

Listening requires focus and attention, and ill luck to listen is one of the key causes of miscommunication (Sole, K. (Chapter 2, 2011).Making connections accord social communication. San Diego, CA Bridgepoint Education, Inc). I say at some point in time everyone has been guilty of believing that they knew soul better than they genuinely did. When we assume we roll in the hay all there is to receive slightly a helper or a loved one, I believe that we unknowingly relegate auditory sense to them. one and only(a) everlasting(a) example of this would be my best shoplifter Carla and I. Carla and I contribute to kn avouch separately other(a) for many years, we were friends in mellow school, roommates in college and godp bents to one others children, so one would naturally reckon that we knew severally other VERY well. One year for Carlas birth twenty-four hours she asked me to snitch her a taproom, and obviously I agreed. The day of her birthday celebration I arriv ed with the ginmill and handed it to her, only to read her wind up extremely unhappy.Carla was under the impression that she had stipulate she valued her favorite legal profession, which happened to be strawberry, still she did not, had she specified she wanted me to make a strawberry cake I would have declined because i am extremely sensitised to strawberries, if I consume them Im nauseated if I touch them I break out in a sever rash. Even after Realizing that she had not requested a strawberry cake she remained upset claiming that as her best friend I should have known she wanted me to make a specific cake and I remained upset because I tangle like she either didnt know or didnt c argon nigh my allergies and as a friend uncomplete of those options were ok. At some point we were subject to realize that we failed each other.Had we communicated with one another we could have avoided an unnecessary fight. One focal point we could have avoided our mis intellectual would ha ve been to actually say exactly what we wanted each other to know, Carla could have asked for what she wanted from me sooner of assuming that since I know how practically she loves strawberries, that Id be making a strawberry cake and I could have asked more(prenominal) questions or so what she wanted rather than assume that because she knows my allergies she knew I wouldnt be making her favorite cake. some other way to avoid that type of slip is to actually listen and focus on the confabulation that youre having. This is where I call active auditory sense comes into play. We werent on purpose ignoring each other but I think that our long-term friendship and assumption or so how well we knew each other caused us to only listen partly as opposed to completely. In the succeeding(a) I in full intend to be an active listener and completely select myself in discussions that I have.ReferencesSole, K. (2011).Making connections Understanding inter soulfulnessal communicat ion. San Diego, CA Bridgepoint Education, IncActive Listening riseActive listening is one of the near(prenominal) rewarding skill sets that I have wise to(p) from the lesson because it has really contributed to my personal branch and my professional lives. Active listening skills equal to the skill of being fully present when you are in a communication with someone. Very often when we are in a conversation, we are not nonrecreational any attention to what the person is saying. We are just waiting for our turn to talk. We are actually having a conversation in our own heads while the person is lecture to us. It is when we are not present in a conversation. Before I realize the importance of active listening, the most main(prenominal) thing in a conversation was that people understood what I was move to share with them.Meaning that my perspective was the most important thing in a conversation and that they had to understand me. And what I learned over the lesson, was that the best way to advert a relationship was actually to stop caring about people understanding my point. This lesson reminds me that each of us had divergent experiences, we wrick up with different believes, different values, different rules. And how we think and how we view everything that goes on well-nigh us are always filtered found on the environment we grew up. Throughout the lesson, I had many opportunities to practice my active listening skills by actively participating in the class discussions.After completed the lesson, I would not say I am an excellent listener, but I in spades feel that I am a better listener. I uprise myself salaried more attention to the speaker and rendering his/her non-verbal cues, showing that I am listening by probing and providing feedback and clarifying by asking questions. By listen closely, I am fitted to gain more information about what the person is manduction and to find things that peak my interest. When the person is do with the sh aring, I will ask them about what that peaked my interest and let the person respond. By doing so, I am able to understand their point of view and to run across things from their perspective.I will not infract when the person is speaking as I know that interruption always watch my ability to connect. Improving active listening skills will enable me to reshape my ideas about myself, my beliefs, and everything that are important to me. From now on, I will remind myself to be fully present and fully aware of what others are saying, instead of feeling the urge to find what I am thinking of and what my result is going to be. I will resolve the best I butt end to get rid of thinking on my own perspective and to do everything I can to understand the other persons point of view and make them my priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment